Thursday 24 April 2014



I have decided to look at my original genre conventions and see if my music video fits in with these conventions or not. I chose to make a pop/rock music video of a song by 'The Script' which are an indie/ pop rock band. I had to keep the video linked to the song by making it the same genre style.

Narrative style: There a couple of narrative styles that are used in music videos, one being montage style which is common with rap, hip hop and r&b, the style is postmodern and revolves around 'style over substance'. An example of this style would be Jay Z and Kanye West's song 'Ortis' where in the video the pair had a 'Maybach' (a luxury car made by Mercades Benz) and they cut all the doors of the car and drove it round an air strip with 3 women in the back which backs up 'style over substance and Laura Mulveys theory of the male gaze.  

For my music video however I chose to reflect the genre of my music more and use a simple narrative structure which tells a story about the music. For this I had my actor play out the words of the song in a visual format to reinforce the story. It reflects a simple A,B,C structure which is common for my genre, and as you can see in the screenshots the contrast between the style without substance montage video of R&B and the story telling narrative of my music video.

Mise-en-scene:

Mise-en-scene plays a large role in establishing the genre of the video for example my video at the top of the video doesn't look like a happy pop music video and instead more of an indie video. Whereas the video at the bottom 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams clearly shows to the audience it is a fun video made for a pop song, it even goes as far as reflecting the title of the video. It isn't just a coincidence the videos show the genre, it is through carefully selected mise-en-scene. In my video I chose to shoot on a 'glum looking' day where the sky was overcast and there was rain on the ground, this reflected the video style of the main character being upset. However looking at 'happy' you can see the surrounding mise-en-scene to be colourful for example the multi-coloured banners hanging from the ceiling. The acting also contributes to the style of the video, in the screenshot of my video you can see my actor hunched over in an upset state and as a contrast you can see the screenshot of the woman jumping for joy showing that she is happy. I think through the use of mise-en-scene in my video I portrayed the style I wanted to and showed the emotions of my character through the acting, just as you see in professional music videos like that of 'happy' by Pharrell Williams.

Cinematography:
In my music video I tried to use as much different camera angles and cinematography as I could to keep with form conventions for a music video. Here is a few screenshots of the camera angles I have used for example (from top left): establishing shot, long shot, extreme close up, medium shot, and close up. I followed conventions quite tightly in terms of cinematography and included all the standard range of shots you would expect in a music video.


















No comments:

Post a Comment