Thursday 24 April 2014

What have I learned for conducting my audience feedback?

For my audience feedback I used various different surveying techniques to analyse my success including questionnaires and Prezi's. When it comes down to what I have learned from audience feedback there has been a few different things especially in my first set of audience feedback however there was significantly less in my final audience feedback where mostly the audience couldn't think of many things that could be improved. Most of the people asked in my second set of audience feedback thought it worked well together but many didn't know why. Many of them weren't media pupils so didn't have much knowledge or experience in the details or the creating process, so this meant I had to analyse the results and in some cases ask further questions about individual features of my products and show the audience members before and after progress photos of the making of my product to determine at what point they thought the products started looking professional. For example showing people he first draft of my music video they weren't convinced it looked professional in most cases, but when I showed them it after a few key stages like adding in some performance elements, people started it think it was looking more professional. The final majority of people thought my music video started to look more professional when it came to adding the transition effects like the blurs that linked the shots together. 


By studying the audience feedback closely in the way I described above I noticed that it wasn't the big features that made the products look professional overall but it was the small features that really made it work. Obviously the products wouldn't have been good at all if it weren't for the big things e.g. the main photo in the advertising poster, the products wouldn't have made sense without it. However it's the things that just make it stand out and keep balance that turn it from looking amateur to looking professional. Specific examples in my poster would be the shadows in the writing around the names of the songs and the bevel, shadows and opacity that I used on the banner highlighting the digipak cover. 


Other features that people felt worked well was the use of colours through all the products, for example the red that was used in the 'hunter' name in the ancillary texts, people felt worked well together. I used this red in both of the ancillary texts and members of the target definitely noticed it and thought it brought continuity to the products in fact the colour schemes where the most commented on thing when I asked about continuity. Other things that where mentioned when it came to continuity where the use of the same artist throughout. After my first set of filming i decided by listening to audience feedback that i should put in some performance elements in my music video which is a common feature within music videos. I travelled to Leeds and filmed my artist singing with a guitar in Hyde Park which took most of a day mostly travelling, however due to a mix up with cameras the footage didn't come out well enough to put in my music video. After this I considered using a different artist to do the performance element to the music video, as it didn't necessarily need to be the same person singing. However I thought it would have confused the audience if I did this, so i decided to film again and the footage turned out well so I used that in my video. After seeing the feedback for the products I think I made the right choice as allot of people commented on how they thought the use of one artist gave great continuity.


By looking at audience feedback one thing i think i could have done to improve the continuity of all my pieces as a whole would be to put in a common theme to all of my products. Of what i have learned from audience feedback the continuity was already good but some of the audience felt some things especially in the digipak where slightly unexplained. For example someone suggested that i used a different building for the back cover of my digipak and although it looked good it wasn't linked in with the video. Something that i think I would do to change it while taking that advice on board would instead of changing the building to accommodate the music video, i would add some footage in the music video of the same building which would explain it better. However I don't think it is desperately necessary for the the ancillary texts to have everything linked to the music video as they are representing the artistic and the full album and not only the song in the video. 


Something that I found when looking at my audience feedback was that people liked the different transitional editing techniques I used in my video for example the fade to black I used when the video was sad and the fade to white I used when there was a positive part which helped portray emotions. One thing I have spotted through audience feedback is that people liked the parts of the music video where they felt emotional empathetic to the characters. People said they liked this in the slow motion flashbacks where they felt the black and white colour effects made it more emotional. I think i could have capitalised on peoples positiveness towards the emotional parts by maybe making the performance element of the video link with the storyline. For example I could have the artists emotional expression change through the video as to storyline developed. Like at the start of the video when the man is feeling upset, the artist singing could have been reflecting this, and then at the end where the narrative becomes positive he could have also reflected this change.


Overall by looking at my audience feedback there is some small changes i could have made to add continuity through all of the products. but overall people thought that my products looked professional enough and i feel they worked well together in promoting the album and music video. 



(1046 words 5967 characters)










No comments:

Post a Comment